Are you ready?

by Matt Mecham on January 17, 2008

in Dad Stuff, Uncategorized

During a post Christmas visit, our friend who became a father for the first time almost a year ago asked “Are you all ready, then?”

It’s a simple enough question, glibly presented in expectation of a quick reply. I pondered for a moment and replied with “Is anyone every really ready?”. I thought I was being smart but this exchange of words echoed in my mind long after our goodbyes were said.

Is anyone ever really ready for their first child? How can you prepare? I’ve read a stack of books on pregnancy, birth and fatherhood. They are very useful but I get the nagging feeling it’s like planning for a trip to the moon.

But that’s just learning how to care for a baby. All that takes is a little patience and a lot of practise.

Am I ready to have my life changed forever? That’s the bigger question.

Am I ready to have my daily reading replaced with implausible tales chronicling unrealistic relationships between farmyard animals. Am I ready to have my DVD collection replaced with bright primary colours and repetitive songs about odd looking creatures living in daily fantasy. Am I ready to have my life turned upside forever?

Yes. Not only am I ready, but I can’t wait for it to happen. My future is in being a father. Everything previous seems so far away and so empty.

{ 5 comments }

1 MarkP January 17, 2008 at 7:54 pm

It’s a rollercoaster of emotions, but I wouldn’t change anything for the world. I can not remember my (our) old lifes. To be honest I am not much of a reader but the few books I flicked through only helped prepare you on how to look after them.

Looking back I think our life’s changed when Lindsay was first pregnant its funny because they are not here physically as babies but somehow they have altered our day to day lifes…

You are fast approaching the finishing line… when in March is due date? Have you and Debbie got your labor bag packed?

2 Mummy-To-Be January 17, 2008 at 11:06 pm

EDD is March 10th. Bag isn’t packed yet but will be next week! I’m ready for this…as ready as I’ll ever be! :)

3 Nicky January 21, 2008 at 9:40 am

You’re more ready than pretty much anyone else I know, I think.
OMG, you’re probably even going to LIKE teletubbies…

4 Nicky January 21, 2008 at 9:41 am

PS my birthday is March 14th. That’s an excellent day for a birthday – I recommend it!

5 Joshua Y. January 24, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Debbie,

My stepmom’s birthday is March 9th. How ironic is that? LOL. Anyway, best of luck to you on Flump’s delivery.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: