2000 Year Old Stories Are Probably Exaggerated

by Matt Mecham on September 9, 2010

in Micro Blog

Zombie and Vampire culture is very much part of our zeitgeist. There are stacks of books and movies about both and people talk as if they actually exist as some part of pseudo reality. There are even a few fitness programs designed to help you survive the apocolypse.

Of course, the saner among us discuss this with tongue firmly in cheek but you do start wondering if in 2,000 years time people will revere ‘Twilight’ as a sacred text that documents the rise of Vampires that lived among us for a time and historical copies of “Land of the Dead” will be screened to show how our civilisation coped with the rising of the undead.

After all, the Bible is a 2,000 year old story about a dude called Jesus who magicked up food and parted an ocean. Millions of people still congregate at least once a week to discuss that tall story.

{ 6 comments }

1 Michael McCune September 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Jesus parted an ocean? Do you mean Moses parting the Red Sea? :P

Don’t worry, I’m not going to start some bible-thumping rant with you, I consider myself an agnostic personally. The way I see it, to believe the literal truth of the bible is pretty silly, but to live by some of the ‘do unto others’ teachings in it is a pretty good way to go through life.

2 bfarber September 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Mike – the “do unto others” morals are not really part of the Bible, nor are they exclusive to the Bible. In fact, the Bible says “thou shalt not kill” in one passage, but then describes how sinners (for committing crimes such as petty theft, or adultery) should be stoned to death.

In fact, if you want to live by the morals of the Bible, you should be out committing genocide. A good majority of the Bible instructs to do just that. I’m reading a book called “The God Delusion”, and it’s kind of an eye opener. I used to consider myself agnostic. I would say that I no longer do.

3 admin September 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm

My tongue was firmly in cheek. I am certainly not religious but I respect everyone’s right to follow their beliefs.

4 Lisa September 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Oh .. must resist…… I love this post! We’ve been “blacklisted” by the various groups of godbothers who knock on doors because we invite them in to discuss their beliefs, then systematically give them counter-arguments.. makes for a fun afternoon. …. Unfortunately they don’t knock anymore hehehe

5 bfarber September 11, 2010 at 12:23 am

I probably should qualify my last comment by stating that I do respect others’ wishes and beliefs. I don’t preach or push my beliefs onto others, and I tend to avoid religious discussions (for good reason). Just so that’s clear. :P

6 Anonymous October 6, 2010 at 2:23 pm

@bfarber It’s better translated: “Thou shalt not murder.” It’s not a contradiction.

There’s always some “new” book that questions God and the Bible. Most of the time, they use lazy or fringe “scholarship” for desperate, sensational purposes. Some people fall for it, and a book is sold. That’s pretty easy when people would rather not know God, which He advises to use His Word to aid in.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: